[GRASS5] export RGB channels in one ERDAS/IMG file

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Sep 1 22:24:13 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:05:51PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Otto Dassau wrote:
> >Dear list,
> >
> >I would like to export several rasterfiles (channels R,G,B,..) in one
> >ERDAS/IMG
> > file with GDAL. Is this possible?
> >
> >r.out.gdal is working, but I can't find an option how to do this in the
> >manual
> > pages. Does anybody has an idea?
>

> Otto,
>
> I did a quick check of r.out.gdal and it does not seem to support outputting
> more than one raster layer at a time to an output file even though I can see
> that would be highly desirable.  Likely it should offer an option to export
> a "group" as that is the equivelent to a stack of image bands in GDALs data
> model.

Frank,

this could be added easily. But I don't know how to tell 'gdal_translate'
about it.
The docs only mention single-file input:
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_utilities.html#gdal_translate

> Given that it does not, it seems you might have to do this all rather
> indirectly.  One approach is to output individual rasters and then composite
> them with an external application like OpenEV or within Imagine itself.

As I also need that functionality, I'll add it once I have understood
the gdal_translate procedure...

Markus