[GRASS5] ArcView AVL files

Joel Peter William Pitt pittj2 at lincoln.ac.nz
Fri Sep 24 22:48:14 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to port some GIS data from ArcGIS to GRASS, and
so far things have been okay. However I have a few questions:

1. When I point r.in.gdal to an adf file in a directory,
does it also read other adf files at the same level?
E.g. I import w001001.adf from the following list of files,
since it was the largest but the resulting location also
contains projection information presumably from prj.adf...

Files in directory:
dblbnd.adf  log           prj.adf  vat.adf      w001001x.adf
hdr.adf     metadata.xml  sta.adf  w001001.adf

2. The raster map in GRASS contains straight integer
values at each location. In ArcView it was able to
relate a category to each integer (or range), and I located the
files that this category information is kept in. These
have an extension of *.avl and was wondering if GRASS
has any way of importing this?

---
Also I haven't got the very latest CVS (probably a week
or so old), but whenever I use d.zoom interactively it
chews up processor usage, even while just sitting there
when I'm not clicking on the map. I'm assuming there
is a loop somwhere without a sleep() statement... :)

Thanks for your time,

Joel