[GRASS5] mysterious disk full error in r.resamp.rst

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Apr 14 23:02:58 EDT 2005

Markus Neteler wrote:

> we have an error when using r.resamp.rst to downsample
> a raster map:

> Not enough disk space--cannot write files

> Is it possible that the fwrite() in main.c of r.resamp.rst doesn't report
> the correct error (since we have plenty of disk space)? Which error
> could it be (in general the module seems to work)?

Looking at the code, you will get tat error message if fwrite() fails
for any reason.

      if (!(fwrite (zero_array_cell, sizeof (FCELL), nsizc, Tmp_fd_z)))
	clean_fatal_error ("Not enough disk space -- cannot write files");

There may be other limitations, e.g. process resource limits
(corresponding to "ulimit -f"), quotas, or reservations (on ext2fs,
typically 5% of each partition is reserved for root, but the amount
can be changed via tune2fs).

Or there may be other errors, e.g. an I/O error (bad sector) or an
attempt to write beyond the 2GiB limit (if the file is sparse, it
doesn't need to actually use 2GiB of disk space).