[GRASS5] Re: [bug #3877] (grass) r.to.vect: severe memory leaks, I'm helpless

Andrew Danner adanner at cs.duke.edu
Tue Dec 6 11:16:51 EST 2005

I haven't tried this particular patch, but I tried something very
similar and got over 20 million points with very low memory usage, so it
should scale beyond that. In 5.4, my largest set was over 500 million.

Even though v.in.ascii will be able to import large sets, other vector
modules (v.surf.rst, for example) would need to be modified to handle
the case when topology isn't built.  It can be done, but as Radim
suggested, you end up with a sites model and a vector model, which Grass
6+ is trying to avoid.

 I have some familiarity with working with large sets with v.surf.rst
and v.in.ascii and I can try to look into possible "fixes", though I'm
reluctant to use the word "fix". You can turn off the topology and get
rst and ascii import working for you particular application, but you
break the vector model as a result.

-Andy