[GRASS5] Referencing jpeg images without display

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jan 4 11:27:45 EST 2005

David,

I.rectify rectifies images without a graphic interface. It just needs a
points file with GCP's in it. I.points uses a graphic interface to generate
the points file of GCP's from an already rectified map. However, if you
generate them in another way, it is not necessary.

Also, the GDAL utility gdalwarp can rectify and georeference an image. It
can use GCP's embedded in the image file (e.g. Terra ASTER HDF files) or an
external GCP file.

Michael

On 1/3/05 6:39 PM, "David Piasecki" <piasecda at nv.doe.gov> wrote:

> Is there a non-graphical command for georeferencing an imported jpeg or
> tiff image? For my own use, I can use i.target and i.points and all
> that jazz to do it from the Grass GUI; however, I don't want the users
> of my application to go out to Grass because they are unfamiliar with
> it and will undoubtedly get confused and take their frustration out on
> me. So is there a way I could simply pass Grass the GCPs from the image
> with matching coordinates via the command line?
>
> Thanks,
> David

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University