[GRASS5] 3D flyover from DEM?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jan 6 17:57:29 EST 2005

David Piasecki wrote:

> Aside from simply setting a point of reference and drawing a static map
> based on a DEM, is there a way to generate a 3D map which I can use as
> some sort of fly-over? In other words, with a DEM and a 2D image
> overlaid on top, I'd like to generate a file that I can use in a 3D
> viewer (perhaps Quicktime or something similar) which enables me to
> zoom in and out and change my point of reference without going back to
> GRASS to redraw.

I'm not sure what you're asking for.

You can use p.vrml (if it still works) to export a DEM pair to a VRML
1.0 ElevationGrid node, which you can then view from any position and
direction.

Or you can use any of the r.out.* programs to dump the DEM to a raster
format which can be understood by a rendering package such as POVray,
and use that to render a fly-over animation.

Also, you can use NVIZ to render a fly-over as a series of images,
which can be converted to e.g. MPEG using a separate encoder.