[GRASS5] files stored in /tmp/ from init.sh

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 18:38:23 EST 2005

Hi,

re. GRASS Bug # 2877  (Debian Bug # 287651)
    Insecure use of the '/tmp/' directory.

I'm getting through the instances; pretty much done actually.
g.tempfile didn't have to change.

There's one that goes deeper than I want to mess with, ie the locking
mechanism..

/tmp/grass6-$USER-$GIS_LOCK/gisrc

referenced by

lib/init/init.sh
lib/gis/unix_socks.c

(changing this might mean lib/gis/win32_pipes.c needs to be changed too)

The "/tmp/grass6-$USER-$GIS_LOCK/gisrc" file is predictable, leaving the
system open to symlink attacks...

can someone who understands the internals look into this please?

thanks,
Hamish