[GRASS5] Why can't I update table in d.what.vect?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Jun 1 14:52:39 EDT 2005

I am trying to enhance the Spearfish dataset with attribute values to use in
a class.

I divided the stream vector into its component segements and made a
attribute table for streams with an entry for each stream segment. It is
linked by a corresponding cat value key field. It looks fine in all ways of
checking how this is linked. I¹d like to put values in the table.

I can use v.to.db to put in the lengths of each segment, I can use Open
Office to manually enter values for each segment, I can use the new
v.db.updatecol script to put values in the attribute table. But if I try to
do it with d.what.vect or v.digit, I get the following error

Cannot update table:
DBMI_DBF driver error:
SQL parser error in statement:
update streams set LABEL = 'no name',
ORDER = 0, LENGTH = 3640.424000, name
= 'Miller Creek' where cat = 26
Error in db_execute_immediate()

After I was unable to update label, I made another column ³name² using
v.db.addcolumn. Again no problem, but I still can¹t update it using
d.what.vect. I¹ve checked the file permissions and they are fine. I¹m
working in the same (PERMANENT) mapset as the file.

On the other hand, I also added extra columns to archsites and roads and CAN
update their tables via d.what.vect.

Any idea what¹s wrong here?

Michael

PO Box 872402