[GRASS5] usability tweak on OSX

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jun 8 22:00:27 EDT 2005

Hamish wrote:

> Here's a window placement tweak that makes things a bit less annoying
> on the Mac (and I guess elsewhere too) from the d.m zoom/pan buttons.
>
> It's sort of bending to my preferences of where windows should be placed,
> but we should specify something other than just dumping everything in
> the middle of screen. Having to drag the windows to somewhere useful
> everytime you start the program is a pain.

If placement isn't specified anywhere, then it's up to the window
manager as to where windows are placed. Most window managers allow the
user to configure this.

I have no idea how this applies to MacOSX (which I presume doesn't use
a WM).

> -    eval exec -- xterm -e $env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-run.sh $cmd $args &
> +    eval exec -- xterm -geometry -50-40 -e $env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-run.sh $cmd $args &

We definitely shouldn't be hardcoding xterm placement inside d.m.

A better approach would be to set the xrdb name using -name, e.g.

	eval exec -- xterm -name xterm-grass ...

then place GRASS xterms using X resources, i.e.

	*xterm-grass.geometry: -50-40