[GRASS5] [bug #3350] (grass) ps.map: vpoints draws before grid

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 03:11:01 EDT 2005

> >> Wouldn't it be usefull for any element to be rendered by the order
> >> of appearance in the file containing mapping instructions?
> >> So the vpoints (or any other element) could be drawn over or under
> >> the grid (or any other piece of map), as the user wishes.
> >
> > Is this with respect to a specific preference or just a general
> > idea?
>
> My preference and my (?) idea and usefull for others I think. But I
> don't mean to insist.

Clearer:

Can you give a specific example of something that is not layered to your
liking?

Lines over or under the grid lines comes to mind -- GPS track might be
over the grid line but roads should be under.
shrug.

> WISH: anyway total freedom in arranging the order and rendering by the
> order in instructions file would make things clear and simple.

Current code aspires to produce reasonable output by default. With a
program as hard to get started with as ps.map, this is a very good thing,
even if it hurts overall "power". + I see no reason to build a second GMT.

Everyone is free to swap around the do_*() calls in ps_map.c & recompile
to get the order they like. Very little to no programming skills
required.
:)

> BTW talking of ps.map - are you planning to unify the method for
> describing  the position of different map elements? Settling for units
> of the hardcopy (cm in my preference :)) for all instructions would
> be an important improvement IMO, instead of geographical and percents
> mixed with inches.
>
> I think a big improvement would also be choosing only one method for
> the  fontsize in all instructions, dropping "width" sub-instruction in
> "text" section, adding "bold" and "italics" for all instructions
> realated to font. Do you think these would be usefull and possible to
> apply?

I find this to be frustrating too, so both are on my TODO list.

Specifically: if the "where" x,y contains a %, use percentage of map
window instead of inches for decorations. ie "x y" instead of "x% y%"
use inches. Both ways have their merits & uses.

Things are entrenched in inch units due to that is the unit which the
PostScript language uses (inch/72). When you set font size to "10",
you are really setting it to 10/72". It runs deep. + placement is
confusing enough as it is. I don't want to make it worse.

re. font sizing. Yes, the text, labels, and comments instructions are
awkward. If you don't give "text" a fontsize it defaults to 10points.
Currently I edit the .ps file in a text editor to change that to
8points or whatever if I need to. But I'm not going to drop existing
functionality just becasue I don't use it (ie ground based sizing).
You can do bold or italics by changing the "font" subinstruction I
think. Watch this space. text+labels really need better fontsize
control.

> Much thanks for taking care of ps.map.

Total self interest I assure you. :)

Hamish