[GRASS5] [bug #3350] (grass) ps.map: vpoints draws before grid

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Tue Jun 21 16:59:33 EDT 2005

From: "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>

> I'm short on time (currently in the hardcopy output stage you see...) so
> I won't address larger issues right now (e.g. ordering of layers), but:

> I have just added a "fontsize" sub-command to the "text" command and
> v.labels parsing code in ps.map. enjoy.

Great.

>> Can you tell what is the reason for ground based font sizing in map
>> production?
>
> No, I can't.

Anybody?

>> 1. Problems with margins ie. the black frame extents. The bottom
>> cannot be set eg. to 0. The possible minimun is always the S region
>> value. Also, when using 0 for top and right the output is not like one
>> would expect, and different in regard to paper size. Eg. in case of a4
>> the resulting top and right borders are trunctated. In the opposite I
>> recall when I used some non-standard paper size I got a one pixel
>> column of map canvas standing out the frame, while the three other
>> borders where ok. What could it be?
>
> bug probably. Can you provide a ps.map command file using the spearfish
> dataset which reproduces this?

Will do about weekend.

>> 2. How to get rid of the frame for good?
>
> command file: Don't know. (that doesn't mean it isn't possible)

Any ps.map user who knows?

> in the code: find where it draws it, /* comment it out */, and recompile.
>   may require trial and error, but easier than you might think.

>> 3. Could there be a 'presentation slide' paper size preset added (bad
>> idea?)?
>
> Yes, but what resolution? Generic .eps + 1.3333:1 aspect ratio?

Don't know. Folks?

> Using d.* + d.out.png is better for this?

No vector width control, ugly vectors, ugly barscale, legend and comments,
harder to use for map series production. Naah.

> ps -> png:
> pstoimg -aaliastext -flip r90 -out output.png -scale 1.3 -crop a input.ps
> ('pstoimg' is part of the latex2html debian package)

Noted down, thank you. So far I've been using Image Magick's convert or
GIMP.

>> 4. Regarding the manual: could the mapping instructions be grouped
>> into thematic sections instead of alphabetical order? Say general
>> options, rasters, vectors, decorations, externals (for eps, psfile,
>> read). Much easier to learn then in my opinion.
>
> I've added internal links to the help page in CVS:
>  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/ps.map.html
>
> Hopefully it makes the HTML version of the man page easier to use.

Yes, a little. Thanks.

Maciek