[GRASS5] Backward compatibility (was PATCH: lib/imagery)

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon May 9 12:36:56 EDT 2005

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Brad Douglas wrote:
>
>>I posted this patch some time ago, but I just noticed today that it not
>>applied.  I thought it had been, but maybe it was backed out for some
>>reason.
>>
>>I post again.  It removes "struct Tape_Info" and related functions.  It
>>also removes I_malloc(), I_realloc() and I_free() in favor of G_*().
>>
>>Any objections to me applying or did someone find a (legacy) use for the
>>tape functions?
>
> None here.
>
> Also, as you have already identified the I_malloc/I_realloc calls, it
> would be nice to remove the type casts. As G_malloc/G_realloc return
> void*, the casts are unnecessary.

Brad, you probably need CVS account?

I am also in favour of code cleaning but is it safe to remove functions
from GRASS libraries during the 6.x line? Cannot that break backward
compatibility? GDAL for example is using libgrass_I.

I thought that we want to maintain binary compatibility for all 6.x
releases, is it right? If yes, what are the rules we have to follow?
I thought that at least:
- existing functions must not be changed, removed or renamed
- structures must not be changed
- constants and enumerations must not be changed

Radim