[GRASS5] Questions about v.to.db and table update from v.digit

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun May 22 00:25:29 EDT 2005

I¹ve run into a couple of items that I hope someone can clarify.

1st v.to.db: What does query mode do and how does it work? There is no
explanation for this in docs. I¹ve tried various trial and error (clearly
all error so far) and I can¹t get anything to give any results using query
mode. Also, there is a suggestion that you can list multiple columns for the
col argument, but this produces an error. Is this not implemented yet or is
my syntax wrong (column,column,...)

2nd table update in v.digit: Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn¹t. I
made a table to go along with the Spearfish streams vector file (after
giving unique cat values to each stream segment). I can query it and update
values with v.to.db. I tried to change a value in v.digit and I consistently
received the following error when I try to replace 0 with 2 in the order
column.

Cannot update table:
DBMI-DBF driver error:
SQL parser error in statement:
update streams set ORDER = 2, LENGTH = 3488.474000 where cat = 21
Error in db_execute_immediate()

Thanks for any clarification.

Michael

PO Box 872402