[GRASS5] db.oodbfedit: a _very_ simplistic approach to dbf attribute editing

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 20:11:46 EDT 2005

> >> Playing around with the question of how to allow spreadsheet-style
> >> attribute editing from the GIS Manager - mostly to satisfy demand
> >> from colleagues, I came up with this _very_ simplistic solution
> >> using openoffice.
> > To open a database table in spreadsheet is VERY BAD idea, you can be
> > almost sure that data will be corrupted somehow.

I think a good solution for small tables is to use db.select or
v.out.ascii.db (wiki addon) to export the table, modify it with whatever
tool the user likes, then reimport with db.in.ascii [*], and reconnect
with v.db.connect.

I'm a flat ascii file person not a DB person though, so add grain of salt.

[*] see:
  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2004-October/026786.html
  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2004-November/016274.html

or db.copy, edit step, then v.db.connect?

Hamish