[GRASS5] monitor resize

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 23:52:51 EDT 2005

> > > Let me know how this works out; the existing code works OK with
> > > all of the window managers which I have tried.
> >

> > Using the Fluxbox WM (~1 year old version) on Debian:
> >

> > The resizing control (and window border) are there when you first
> > create the window with d.mon, but disappear as soon as you call
> > anything (eg d.erase). `d.mon stop=xN && d.mon start=xN` doesn't
> > always bring them  back unless you start/stop a different number
> > monitor first.
> >
> > The above two code changes don't have any affect, AFAICT.
> >
> > Are there any verbose xwininfo options that may be of help for
> > checking the window's state?
>
> xprop will list the properties associated with a window. The
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS property is the one which normally controls resizing.

First off, I'd mention that 'd.mon sel=x0' does as good a job of losing
the frame (and resizing ability) as d.erase or any other display
command. So to keep things simple I've used that to trigger it.

Working case (GNOME + Sawfish WM + Debian's XFree86 4.3):

`xprop`:
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified size: 585 by 720

`xprop -spy` as `d.mon sel=x0` is executed:
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified size: 585 by 720
                program specified minimum size: 585 by 720
                program specified maximum size: 585 by 720
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified size: 585 by 720

Failing case (Fluxbox WM + XFree86 4.2.1):

`xprop`:
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
 [nothing, next item]

`xprop -spy` as `d.mon sel=x0` is executed:
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified minimum size: 640 by 480
                program specified maximum size: 640 by 480
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):

No diff between before and after states as shown by xwininfo and xprop
when `d.mon sel=x0` is run triggering presence/absence of frame.

Hamish