[GRASS5] question about sqlite

John Gillette JGillette at rfmd.com
Tue Oct 18 16:24:18 EDT 2005

> Radim,
>
> Could you give me a quick overview of what it means to
> compile GRASS with
> sqlite? Here are a couple questions I have.
>
> 1) Is it simply a driver that lets GRASS recognize a
> database/table created
> by sqlite in an active sqlite session started in another
> process, like a
> Postgresql table in an active Postgresql session?
>
> 2) Does it/can it active an sqlite session from within GRASS?
>
> 3) Are there other features that I'm not asking about that I
> should know?

Here's one I didn't know about.  There are 2 different versions of sqlite:
2.8 and 3.x.  You could have both installed but Grass is looking for sqlite3.h
which means it is looking for version 3.  (Ref: www.sqlite.org/version3.html)

I played with it a little but not through Grass yet.  The web site and man
pages will get you started.  It does only a subset of SQL statements but
there's not much it doesn't have. see www.sqlite.org/lang.html

Data types:
"Version 2 stores all column values as ASCII text.  Version3 enhances this ..."
I don't know if this any kind of issue.

It's "cute". All tables, etc are stored in 1 file.  I'm guessing that the c lib
routines will let you read/write to it similar to dbf file but with much more
functionality built in.

John