[GRASS5] temp rasters/vectors in scripts

Robert Nuske rnuske at gwdg.de
Fri Oct 28 08:00:10 EDT 2005

Hi Listers,

fiddling about r.fillnulls I came across a number of temporary rasters and
vectors. After finding that g.tempfile provides a secure way to handle
text-/image files or even directories, I am wondering if there is an agreed
upon way to handle temporary rasters/vectors in scripts?

It seems to me that (at the moment) the usual way to write temporary
raster/vector is to use something along the line of
  TMP1=r_fillnulls_$$
and building up the next from there like
  out=$TMP1.buf

A naming scheme like that enables a kind of general exitprocedure like:

exitprocedure()
{
 echo "cleaning up ..."
 #deletes all TMP-files from this process
 g.remove rast=$(g.mlist type=rast pattern=$TMP1* | tr "\n" ",") > /dev/null
 g.remove vect=$(g.mlist type=vect pattern=$VECTTMP | tr "\n" ",") > /dev/null
 exit 1
}

But, does one have to care for the odd chance that  a user might have named
his rasters as strange as r_fillnulls_(number identical to the used PID)?

Or is there a secure way to write and delete rasters in grass scripts?

cheers,
  robert