[GRASS5] Number of sites categories, DB and NVIZ

Massimo Cuomo m.cuomo at acsys.it
Thu Sep 8 06:29:04 EDT 2005

Hello everybody.

I'm doing some work in NVIZ in order to visualize sites with every point
  in a different color/size depending from their attributes.

I have a question related to the number of categories (cats) that link
the site/vect to databases.

As I understand each vector could have many cats that (through their
value and associated field) access the attributes in DB via
"Vect_get_field" function.

However, the function "G_sites_open_old" that is used to open sites,
assumes that there is only one associated field and uses only field 1
(fi = Vect_get_field(Map, 1);) to fill the attributes arrays.

So in my code I'm assuming that this field is always 1 and that I have
only one table I have to deal with. (I have only to read and not to
write DB tables because I need only to visualize them)

Actually it is working fine with all the data I have been using until now.

The questions are:
0) Am I correct?
1) Are things going to change in the near future in further integration
between vectors and sites?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Massimo Cuomo
Advanced Computer Sytems (ACS)