[GRASS5] [bug #3673] (grass) location setup: sterea yields

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 10:49:23 EDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Request Tracker wrote:

> Although Grass supports sterea projection via PROJ.4 library, sterea is recognized as an "invalid projection" at the location setup stage in Grass 6.1 cvs.

That would be because it isn't in the list in lib/gis/projections.
Has it been recently added to PROJ (i.e. the last 5 years ;) ) That might
explain why it's not there. But adding support for it to g.setproj would
probably involve changes to lib/gis/geo_init.c and maybe other files as
well.

If you know the parameters there is no problem to manually set it up by
editing the PROJ_INFO or even put it in with g.proj using EPSG codes or
WKT files etc. All the g.setproj and G_geo_* stuff is just a bit of a hack
to make up for the absence in PROJ of a specification of the parameters
associated with each projection. It doesn't attempt to be definitive for
all the projections supported and never will.

I asked the author of PROJ about this once but on a point of principle he
doesn't want to produce such a definitive specification and prefers that
people read the PROJ documentation and understand the parameters they are
using, rather than answer a series of questions like g.setproj attempts to do.

Paul