[GRASS5] Problems compiling and running GRASS6.CVS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Apr 7 03:23:47 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:

> > The user can still add flags by setting CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and LDFLAGS
> > when running configure.
>
> While on the subject,
>
> I've always been a bit confused about r.terraflow/IOStream/lib/src/Makefile
> mixed use of CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. grep shows support for CPPFLAGS in
> aclocal.m4, configure.in, and Platform.make,... Are they two distinct
> things or two attempts at the same thing?

Distinct.

CPPFLAGS should contain switches related to the C preprocessor (e.g.
-D, -I etc), while CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS should contain switches related to
the actual C/C++ compilers.

The command for compiling C files should include both $(CPPFLAGS) and
$(CFLAGS), while that for C++ files should include $(CPPFLAGS) and
$(CXXFLAGS), so CPPFLAGS should affect either type of file while
CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS should each only affect one type.

> Also I think LFS support in
> r.terraflow (it commonly creates >2gb temp files) is slightly confused;
> outside the normal ./configure switches?

Probably.