[GRASS5] [bug #4269] (grass) problems with r.contour

Maciek Sieczka via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Apr 10 04:47:55 EDT 2006

Giorgio wrote:

> r.contour input=elevation.dem at PERMANENT output=dem_isoipse_050 step=50 cut=0
> I get the usual list of errors and then the vecotr map is created.

I don't understand. What are those errors? Copy/paste please.

> then
> g.remove vect=dem_isoipse_050
> g.region res=1
> r.contour input=elevation.dem at PERMANENT output=dem_isoipse_050 step=50 cut=0
> I get a program abnormal end (killed) at:
>
> Reading data.
> Percent complete: Killed

Is it using all your memory and swap before then? I couldn't reproduce your
particular case with "Percent complete: Killed", but my machine freezes when I
run r.contour on a "too big" DEM.

Could you find settings to reproduce the error in the Spearfish dataset?

Devs,

Is r.contour reading the whole DEM into memory? It looks so.

> using the r.contour GUI, I noticed that selecting the "suppress single
> crossing error messages" (this and only this) kills both the gui and the
> d.m (as well as gis.m).

For this Cedric and Michael could maybe tell?  As well as for some your other
recent posts regarding GUI issues.

Thanks.

Maciek