[GRASS5] growing trees with v.trees3d and save a 2D image

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 03:39:49 EDT 2006

> Then once the study area is setup, i would like to know if there is a
> command line possibility to have a png (or any image format) of the
> study area from a normal angle to the scene. We mean to ask another
> program to control GRASS to do this again and again, until it finds
> the proper combination of parameters to describe the trees in the
> aerial photo.

Set the view in NVIZ, then File->Save State ..

Then make a script (see the scripting menu) to automatically trigger the
File->Save image as->PPM. Convert that to PNG with pnmtopng from Netpbm.

or just modify the nviz2.2_script Tcl file to auto call that function
with a known filename after starting grass with "nviz state=file.nviz".

It's definitely possible, but you will have to get your hands a little
dirty.

Hamish