[GRASS5] gis.m as default GUI

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Apr 25 13:38:58 EDT 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 11:18 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I've successfully tried starting GRASS without OSX using Lorenzo
>> Moretti's
>> binaries. This uses TclTk aqua and the Mac terminal. It works fine.
>> Obviously, it's missing those pieces that still require x11. I
>> don't think
>> these will be replaced before the rapidly approaching version 6.2
>> release.
>> But I (and hopefully others??) will be working on them.
>>
> I'm building this weekend's snapshot as I write, linked to Tiger's
> trimmed down Aqua Tcl/Tk, with only X11 support in GRASS (no
> lesstif or glw).  I'll see how that goes. (Panther users would have
> to download and install the full Tcl/Tk Aqua, since Apple's Tcl is
> missing wish on Panther)

GRASS 6.1 CVS 4/22 with Tcl/Tk Aqua (Tiger)

On initial startup of gis.m: (seems to come from starting a display
monitor - I get the same thing when opening a second display minotor)

can't read "_data(.gronsole.gronsole,1,donecmd)": no such element in
array
can't read "_data(.gronsole.gronsole,1,donecmd)": no such element in
array
     while executing
"set donecmd $_data($path,$ci,donecmd)"
     (procedure "Gronsole::done_command" line 3)
     invoked from within
"Gronsole::done_command $path $ci"
     (procedure "Gronsole::execout" line 19)
     invoked from within
"Gronsole::execout $path $cmd $ci Gronsole::execwait"
     (procedure "Gronsole::run_wait" line 6)
     invoked from within
"Gronsole::run_wait .gronsole.gronsole {g.region -u save=mon_1 --o}
gism"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval Gronsole::$cmd .gronsole.gronsole $args"
     (procedure ".gronsole.gronsole" line 1)
     invoked from within
"$gronsole run_wait $cmd gism"
     (procedure "run_panel" line 4)
     invoked from within
"run_panel $cmd"
     (procedure "MapCanvas::mapsettings" line 26)
     invoked from within
"MapCanvas::mapsettings $mon"
     (procedure "MapCanvas::do_resize" line 11)
     invoked from within
"MapCanvas::do_resize 1"
     ("after" script)

Add a raster layer, then Display Active Layers:

child process exited abnormally
child process exited abnormally
     while executing
"exec -- d.font romans >& /dev/null"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval exec -- $cmd $args >& /dev/null"
     (procedure "run" line 6)
     invoked from within
"run d.font romans"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval run $cmd $args"
     (procedure "runcmd" line 6)
     invoked from within
"runcmd "d.font romans""
     (procedure "MapCanvas::drawmap" line 33)
     invoked from within
"MapCanvas::drawmap 1 0"
     ("uplevel" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 $cmd"
     (procedure "Button::_release" line 18)
     invoked from within
"Button::_release .mapcan(1).mf.topf.tb0.bbox1.b0"
     (command bound to event)

Second display monitor opens with above errors, then when closing it:

child process exited abnormally
child process exited abnormally
     while executing
"exec -- g.mremove -f region=mon_2 >& /dev/null"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval exec -- $cmd $args >& /dev/null"
     (procedure "run" line 6)
     invoked from within
"run g.mremove -f region=mon_2"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval run $cmd $args"
     (procedure "runcmd" line 6)
     invoked from within
"runcmd "g.mremove -f region=mon_$mon ""
     (procedure "MapCanvas::cleanup" line 6)
     invoked from within
"MapCanvas::cleanup $mon $destroywin"
     (command bound to event)

Restarted GRASS with X11 Tcl/Tk (GRASS still built with Tcl/Tk Aqua)
and it ran fine.

Is there maybe some GRASS environment settings that are not getting
passed over to Aqua Tcl?  It's like it's having problems when it gets
to running the grass commands.

Or did I miss something in the build and install?  CVS snapshot 4/22,
I'm assuming everything is there for gis.m in the source.

Other than that, in Aqua, all GUI widgets are bigger.  Kinda
expected.  The buttons are at their width limits to show all the text
of the button - are button widths fixed, or variable to let Tcl size
to fit the text (if that's possible)?

I like having a normal Mac-style menu in the menubar instead of per
window.  Do you know if there is a way to rename the wish application
shell at runtime so it shows up as GRASS (or GRASS 6.1CVS or similar)
instead of wish in the menu and the Dock?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy