[GRASS5] New GRASS intro

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Apr 25 17:43:25 EDT 2006

David

Scripting flexibility is one of the great benefits of GRASS. However, in
scripts one isn't doing interactive display management. This has always been
the case and remains so. We are just working to make the interactive part
much less primitive than it was before. So we are trying to add new
capabilities, not remove existing ones. On the other hand, all the
interactive display features in the new GIS Manager are carried out with
existing GRASS commands. Hence, they can be replicated in multiple display
architectures--and scripted.

As I understand the direction of the display architecture, it should be
easier that it is now to script the complex composition and output of
multiple GIS layers to a graphics file that can be viewed in multiple ways
rather than only on an x-windows display monitor.

Beyond this, the greatest power of scripting is in the ability to carry out
complex management and analysis tasks that are unique to a given project or
create functionality that is not otherwise available.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671