[GRASS-dev] WxPython prototype GRASS GUI. Version 2

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Aug 4 04:28:47 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> Building on Jachym¹s work and doing a personal Œsummer of code¹ since I¹m
> not in the field for a change, I¹ve completed a 2nd version of a wxPython
> GUI for GRASS 6.

Great job Michael !

> Zoom in, zoom out, and pan controls are functional in the map display
> window, though zooming is a bit ugly.

Yes, but it works.

Panning however causes problems for me:

- first the screen flashes very frequently while the map moves
- once the map is in its new position, I cannot use the mouse anymore,
only my keyboard. However, when I change to another workspace of my
Gnome desktop and then switch back again, the map display is empty, but
I can use my mouse again.

> A few demo menu items are included.

Here they also cause a funny behaviour: when I chose import (or export),
I get the command window (which is still the tcltk one, or ?) in modal
mode, i.e. the other windows are dead. When I then click on 'close' in
the command window, it closes and then reopens immediately. When I close
it a second time it closes and the other windows (gis manager and map
display) become active again...

> Please give it a try and see what you think. It is especially important to
> see if it runs well cross-platform.

My tests are on Debian testing/unstable.

> While wxPython lacks a few items that we use in TclTk,

such as ?

> After this has been evaluated a bit and (hopefully) works for everyone, the
> next step could be to divide up the tasks of porting the GUI from TclTk to
> wxPython, trying to follow the GUI roadmap. This is a very big job and could
> use the coordinated work of several people.

Even though my programming knowledge is limited (just as - obviously -
my time), I am willing to help with this, at least in the form of
testing, but maybe even some simple coding.

> If you want to download and try out gism.py, I made a section on the GRASS
> WIKI for it in the development/python section and linked it to the tgz
> package on my website for download. I also uploaded the tgz file to the
> WIKI, but can't figure out how to link it to the text section I did (Can
> someone advise me on this?)

How about [[Media:FileName]] ?

Moritz