[GRASS-dev] WxPython prototype GRASS GUI. Version 2

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Aug 7 17:13:51 EDT 2006

> I'd like to think we can make a C code to automatically create a menu
> description file instead of making it by hand all the time. If you
> could separate it well from the other coding, it should make that task
> easier when we'll come to it.

Making the description file should be fairly easy. It could even be done in
Python, using the xml output from [grass-command] --interface-description.
The complicating factor is where to put each menu item in some kind of a
meaningful arrangement. The latter probably needs to be human organized to
work best. However, it could perhaps be semi-automated if we could make some
kind of organized menu template (xml file?) by hand and an automated
procedure could fill in the gory details.

> Additionally, since Python GUI does not need recompiling, it should
> then be possible to generate "flavors" of GRASS, i.e. for image
> processing or for GIS analysis, etc on the fly by modifying menu
> contents.

Yes. But I'm betting that most people will want it all.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671