Branching - was Re: [GRASS-dev] WxPython prototype GRASS GUI.

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 06:39:45 EDT 2006

Hi & greetings from the top of a rainforest clad mountain in northern
Australia. (wireless internet access in the darnedest of places these days)

>> For me, the main question is: what would be the reason for a user to
>> choose 6.1.0 over 6.2.0?
>
> No real reason despite the time lag (6.1.0 we can have today,
> for 6.2.0 we would make a beta first).

As soon as 6.1.0 is released that branch is dead*, and we focus on the 6.2
release. I don't expect anyone wants to work on a 6.1.1. Much less confusing to
release 6.1 now, then 6.2 in a month, than the mess of renaming branches. We
know releasebranch6.1 isn't perfect. Well, so what?? I can live with that
knowing that 6.2 will be out soon.

* (no 6.1.1 unless there is some horrible bug)

Perhaps we should think of 6.1.0 as a beta 6.2 release in practice if not in
name.

I suggest we amend the 6.1.0 release announcement/blurb to make it clear that
6.2 is /just/ around the corner (it already sort of says this in the first
sentence of the announcement), then release 6.1.0 in the next days. Maybe
change "feature release" to "preview release". Then I'd consider the 6.1.0
release as getting packagers ready for 6.2, not as requiring them to do two
repeat packagings (packaging 6.2 should be trivial after they've done 6.1).

We are so close to a 6.1.0 release, and I see no compelling reason not to
release it now.

go! go! go!
Hamish