[GRASS-dev] GRASS raster and G3d libraries

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 10 17:39:54 EDT 2006

Soeren Gebbert wrote:

> I'm going to do some changes at the G3d library in the next months.
> I will rename all the lib functions to fit the GNU naming convention and
> i will simultaneously extend the documentation.
>
> But while reading some old grass-dev-mails, i noticed that there are plans to
> merge the g3d and raster library.
> And that Glynn is currently rewriting the raster lib.

Just to clear up any confusion: raster I/O is part of libgis; the
"raster library" deals with raster graphics.

I have been rewriting the latter. I have given some consideration to
re-writing the raster I/O sections of libgis, including integrating 3D
volumes, but haven't actually done anything concrete, and don't plan
to in the near future.

> Because i dont want to make redudant work with
> documenting and renaming the g3d lib, i would like to ask:
> Is there a roadmap when the "g3d/raster lib merge"
> will be started and/or the new raster lib will be finished?

Not in the foreseeable future.