[GRASS-dev] Re: Branching

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Aug 10 18:11:04 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:46:37PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > could people live with the existence of a 6.1.x branch (maintained
> > for critical fixes) and a new 6.2.x branch (maintained for the
> > next stable release)? Everything is ready for 6.1.0. Michael and
> > others are waiting for the 6.2.x branch to be created to move the
> > Python interface into CVS HEAD.
>
> I can live with as many branches as you wish to create.
>
> I don't intend to check out or commit to anything other than the head,
> so the presence of additional branches doesn't directly affect me.
>
> The only thing which does affect me is if there is some kind of freeze
> or restriction on committing to head (apparently there is, so far as
> adding the wxPython code is concerned; I wasn't aware of this).

There was a de-facto freeze due to the unclear situation if
you could live with a 6.1.0 branch or not (other developers didn't
really comment). Otherwise I had made the new branch right away
and didn't have suggested to wait much for adding wxPython code.

I tried to explain my concerns, I am not sure if I was successful.

Apparently that's resolved now (everybody unhappy), but I am too tired
now to open the branch in this minute. I can do that tomorrow (well, all
developers can do that!).

Again: I don't consider this release business to be my personal
thing. It would be a great help to have broad consensus on this
(call it PSC, call it community). This will hopefully improve
in future. The Wiki pages are there to collect ideas in a structured
way.

Markus