[GRASS-dev] grass and python

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Mon Aug 14 00:33:03 EDT 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:59:20 +0100
Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Trevor Wiens wrote:
>
> > > If anyone can find a real language which is "good enough" on all of
> > > Unix, Windows (Cygwin and native) and OSX, I'll quite happily rewrite
> > > all of GRASS' shell scripts.
> >
> > Python is easy to install on Windows. So with an offer like that, I
> > can't help asking if any of the interactive Python shells are to your
> > knowledge good enough. Or perhaps what in you mind defines an
> > interactive shell environment that is good enough to replace bash?
>
> The main issue is the ability to have scripts which can be run as e.g.
> "d.save", and not having to use "d.save.py". This needs to work both
> from a shell and from system/exec/popen/spawn/etc functions provided
> by various languages.

A series so simple wrapper scripts might be needed to make sure that
issuing a map.draw command executes map.draw.py, but it seems desirable
to me to make sure that CLI use of commands would be the same no matter
what the shell of choice.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)