[GRASS-dev] freetype on gentoo

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 24 13:33:04 EDT 2006

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> > are
> >> I don't think it's possible. Please look at Open Design site for license
> >> details. Each eventuall user must *sign* an agreement with Open Design
> >> Alliance to be allowed to use their software and nobody is allowed to
> >> re-distribute their software in either source or binary form. The only
> >> "free" thing about OpenDWG/DGN is that it costs no money, in it's
> >> Associate Membership form.
> >
> > Yes, but making an ebuild which install the libraries only if the user has
> > downloaded it before (and downloading means also signing the agreement)
>
> Not in case of Open Design software. See their site. You have to fax or
> email them the agreement whith your hand-written signature. Then you get
> a login+pass to download the software. Neat, isn't it?

That doesn't preclude the possibility of having an ebuild for it. E.g.
the quake4-data ebuild has an empty SRC_URI, and a src_install()
method which just copies files from the DVD.

Also, even if you don't have an ebuild for OpenDWG, you can still have
a USE flag for it in the GRASS ebuild; you just lose the dependency
management.