[GRASS-dev] Keywords, help pages...

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Mon Aug 28 09:20:50 EDT 2006

Posting an answer to the user list....

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:14:56 +1200
Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In GRASS-land boundaries + centroids make polygons, so convert lines to
> boundaries with v.type and add centroids with "v.category option=add".

Here is a classic case of something being difficult to find where
properly defined keywords might help. I'd wondered about how to add
centroids to areas before, but never bothered to figure it out when
nothing obvious showed up scanning the command listing and descriptions.

Even trickier, with v.category the option=add with the type=centroid
doesn't add centroids, the type must be set to areas. I can't imagine
how the naming could be more counter-intuitive. Even the help page
example isn't all that clear on this IMHO.

Would it be a good idea to add something explicit about this on
v.category page as well as the grass vector intro page??

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)