[GRASS-dev] hardcoded 'xterm': wrapper?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 30 08:12:25 EDT 2006

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> > It seems to work for me,
>
> After this change any command from d.m that spawns terminal (d.zoom,
> r.digit etc.) is broken on my Ubuntu Dapper, where gnome-terminal is a
> default terminal.
>
> In spearfish60:
>
> $ d.m
> add any layer
> display it
> press Zoom
>
> gnome-terminal pops-up saying:
>
> ---
> /usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/grass-run.sh: line 30: d.zoom: command not
> found
>
> ERROR: d.zoom exited abnormally. Press <enter> to continue.
> ---

It appears that gnome-terminal resets $PATH.

In which case, you need to either set GRASS_XTERM to "xterm" to force
the use of an xterm instead, or figure out how to make gnome-terminal
preserve $PATH.

> And on the Grass terminal I get:
>
> ---
> Option --tclass is no longer supported in this version of
> gnome-terminal; you might want to create a profile with the desired
> setting, and use the new --window-with-profile option

That would appear to be a problem with the x-terminal-emulator script
passing gnome-terminal options which it doesn't understand.