[GRASS-dev] grass63 -text startup screen

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Aug 30 10:21:28 EDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:57:49 +0100 (BST)
Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello Maciek
> I suggested some improved text a while ago:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-July/024686.html
>
> There were no objections - I will commit this if there still are none.

Paul,

Reading through the text at the link you provide the definition of
database as a unix directory. Perhaps, since there are other platforms
involved it should be rephrased to read
--
DATABASE: This is the directory (folder) containing all the GRASS
locations.

I would suggest the following change for two additions for MAPSET. The
first short sentence about a location containing one or more is
intended to make clear that a MAPSET is a subset of a LOCATION. The
second addition at the end is an introduction to the concept of
managing data for different users, modified from the GRASS Quickstart
page. Perhaps the second sentence is too long, but I think the first is
a worthy addition.
--
MAPSET: Every GRASS session runs under a particular MAPSET.

[Addition1] Each LOCATION has one or more MAPSET.

Associated with each MAPSET is a rectangular REGION and a set of maps.

[Addition2] When creating a new location GRASS automatically creates a
special MAPSET called PERMANENT, which is readable by other GRASS
sessions accessing the LOCATION.