[GRASS-dev] hardcoded 'xterm': wrapper?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 30 21:20:10 EDT 2006

> >> After this change any command from d.m that spawns terminal (d.zoom,
> >> r.digit etc.) is broken on my Ubuntu Dapper, where gnome-terminal is a
> >> default terminal.
> >>
> >> In spearfish60:
> >>
> >> $ d.m
> >> add any layer
> >> display it
> >> press Zoom
> >>
> >> gnome-terminal pops-up saying:
> >>
> >> ---
> >> /usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/grass-run.sh: line 30: d.zoom: command not
> >> found
> >>
> >> ERROR: d.zoom exited abnormally. Press <enter> to continue.
> >> ---
> >
> > It appears that gnome-terminal resets $PATH.
> >
> > In which case, you need to either set GRASS_XTERM to "xterm" to force
> > the use of an xterm instead, or figure out how to make gnome-terminal
> > preserve $PATH.
>
> gnome-terminal is a default terminal for Gnome as you know. That means
> that not only I, but most Gnome would have to do it. This means that
> d.m in Grass 6.3 will be broken on many Linux boxes by default. If we
> don't want it, shouldn't the change that breaks Grass 6.3 on Gnome
> should be reverted?
>
> What was wrong about using xterm by deafult?

Programs which require a terminal should arguably use the user's
preferred terminal by default. Of course, that reasoning falls down if
the user's preferred terminal is signficantly broken.

Have you checked whether this is an actual gnome-terminal
bug/misfeature, or whether it's just your configuration that's causing
problems?