[GRASS-dev] grass63 -text startup screen

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 22:07:55 EDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Trevor Wiens wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:57:49 +0100 (BST)
> Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hello Maciek
>> I suggested some improved text a while ago:
>> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-July/024686.html
>>
>> There were no objections - I will commit this if there still are none.
>>
> Paul,
>
> Reading through the text at the link you provide the definition of
> database as a unix directory. Perhaps, since there are other platforms
> involved it should be rephrased to read
> --
> DATABASE: This is the directory (folder) containing all the GRASS
> locations.
> --
> I think this terminology would be more understandable to Mac/Windows
> users.
>
> I would suggest the following change for two additions for MAPSET. The
> first short sentence about a location containing one or more is
> intended to make clear that a MAPSET is a subset of a LOCATION. The
> second addition at the end is an introduction to the concept of
> managing data for different users, modified from the GRASS Quickstart
> page. Perhaps the second sentence is too long, but I think the first is
> a worthy addition.

Yes we only have a limited number of lines to work with! (Without it
getting very complicated and having to look at other code and adjust
things, which is probably more than it's worth doing for this.)

So yes Trevor's additions seem quite worthy but a little bit long. I
thought there perhaps there is no need to really mention spearfish seeing (as
Maciek said) that it no longer comes with GRASS by default (AFAIK it used to
many years ago) and mentioning it there just confuses things. So if we
don't mention spearfish then we can save a line from the Location
description and make the Mapset description a line longer. Also took on
board all the comments about the Database description and here is the
latest version:

LOCATION: This is the name of a geographic location. It is defined by a
           co-ordinate system and a rectangular boundary.

MAPSET:   Each GRASS session runs under a particular MAPSET. This consists of
           a rectangular REGION and a set of maps. Every LOCATION contains at
           least a MAPSET called PERMANENT, which is readable by all sessions.

DATABASE: This is a directory (folder) containing the GRASS locations.

          The REGION defaults to the entire area of the chosen LOCATION.
          You may change it later with the command: g.region