[GRASS-dev] Re: autoconf, LOC_CHECK_VERSION_INT

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Dec 5 19:25:50 EST 2006

Maris Nartiss wrote:

> I was trying to emerge GRASS 6.1.0 and 6.2.0 on my freshly installed
> Gentoo ~x86 box, but it stopped on following error:
> ***** autoconf *****
>
> configure.in:44: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
>
> As Radim also had following problem, I wan to ask:
> 1) is autoconf-2.1x required to compile GRASS and autoconf-2.61
> currently banned?

GRASS' configure.in script assumes 2.13. However, we keep the
generated configure script in CVS, so you don't need to run autoconf
as part of the build process. You only need to run autoconf if you
modify the configure.in script, in which case you need to use 2.13.

> 2) if it is fixed in 6.3, is possible to backport this fix before 6.2.1 release?
> 3) is easy to fix this autoconf problem? I mean like changing one line
> in configure from ebuild, if it is not fixed before 6.2.1 release.
>
> You may ask - why I use autoconf-2.61? My answer - it's just default
> on my Gentoo system :)

On Gentoo, the auto* commands are symlinks to ac-wrapper.sh. This uses
$WANT_AUTOCONF to determine which version to use. If it's unset, if
configure already exists and was built with 2.13 then it uses 2.13,
otherwise it defaults to a newer version.