[GRASS-dev] new CVS wiki page

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Dec 7 21:25:06 EST 2006

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> > I have started a new page on the wiki for CVS access & tips.
>
> Excellent! Could someone please put an info there how to merge changes
> from HEAD into a release branch? Currently usually Markus does most of
> this, he could use some help I guess. And I could merge my fixes for
> manuals myself.

This is easier said than done.

The trick with merging is figuring out what you want to merge, rather
than how to achieve it.

In general terms, merging is performed by first using "cvs update"
with two "-j" switches, then committing the merged version. Commits
always go to the current branch, so you need to have a checked-out
copy of the release branch in order to be able to merge changes into
it.

The key point is that you need to pass the correct revisions to the -j
switches. If multiple commits have been made since the branch
occurred, and you only want to commit some of them, you need to
identify the "before" and "after" revisions corresponding to the
changes which you wish to merge.

When dealing with multiple files, it's usually necessary to specify a
revision as a branch tag and a date. Note that specifying a branch tag
alone refers to the latest common ancestor of the branch and the
working copy, usually the "root" of the branch, not the head of the
branch.