[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-PSC] i.ortho.photo

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Fri Dec 15 00:29:40 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 21:48 -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> Brad,
>
> I haven't used the module, so I can't say. The reason for making it
> *possible* to run non-interactively (even if it *can* be run interactively
> if desired) is that it can then be wrapped into a non-x11 GUI. As long as
> interactive terminal input is required, this is not possible.

Excellent point.  I hadn't considered alternative GUIs.

> There is no problem running the module twice in different modes to have it
> compute transform coordinates, so long as those coordinates can be output to
> stdout or a file that could be subsequently used by the module running in
> different mode. On the other hand, if this involves interactively clicking
> on photo reference points and a georeferenced map to create a file of point
> pairs (photo/image and georeferenced equivalents), there should be the
> option of replacing this task by GUI code. For example, the TclTk
> georectifier integrates i.group, i.target, and i.rectify. However, the
> interactive i.points is simply replaced by TclTk code that generates a POINT
> file used by i.rectify.

Right now, coordinates are stored in the REF file.  I assume the same is
true for i.points/i.rectify, but haven't reviewed that code, yet.

> I'm not sure if this is helpful to you or not. However, to incorporate this
> into a current or new GUI, there needs to be some way to run this module or
> its decendent(s) 100% non-interactively.

Yes, this has been helpful.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785