[GRASS-dev] running with GISBASE as a symlink?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Dec 18 12:19:37 EST 2006

A couple notes on the problem.

On Dec 18, 2006, at 1:26 AM, Hamish wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to work around this QGIS GRASS-plugin bug:
>   https://svn.qgis.org/trac/ticket/346
>
> (the OSX file picker won't let me select GISBASE which is within a
> subdirectory of /Apps/GRASS.app/; it's greyed out)

Indeed, on OSX you can't navigate into an application package.  And,
depending on Finder options, you may or may not see the .app extension.

If it's a valid GRASS installation and was built against that
particular GRASS, it should work - a unix path can refer to something
inside an app package with no problem.  As long as that GRASS is not
moved, Qgis GRASS plugin should find it and not ask for a GISBASE.
Once GRASS is moved, Qgis needs to ask where it now is.

One solution I can think of, and that I'll probably do with my Qgis
binary in the future, is to package the necessary GRASS libraries and
support in the Qgis app.  That way there are no worries of moving
GRASS around and having to set GISBASE, or making sure you have the
right GRASS version.  It works for me with my GDAL framework -
currently my Qgis build uses the GRASS libraries I have in my GDAL
framework.

I wonder - are you using the Qgis.org download of Qgis and trying to
use my GRASS.app with it?  This email implies that, though your Qgis
bug says Lorenzo's.  There *may* be library version incompatibilities.

As for hacking the path, ~/Library/Preferences/org.qgis.qgis.plist.
Don't know the setting name to use, though.  Maybe GRASS.GISBASE?  Or
you could try using the GRASS libraries inside my GDAL framework -
you can navigate into a framework package.  Or try my Qgis build ^_^

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.