[GRASS5] GRASS testsuite issue

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Sun Feb 12 11:42:02 EST 2006

Hi,
thank you for your response.

On Friday 10 February 2006 22:23, Daniel Calvelo wrote:
> Guessing: those are FCELL or DCELL, right? It doesn't happen for
> integer rasters, I reckon.

Yes you are correct, fcell and dcell.
And the vector output.

> It smells like be some math libraries or libc precision difference.

Indeed, and i think there is no way to avaoid this. :(

> Try to otput to ascii and use diff to see if that's the case. If it
> is, then the test suite should fall back to compare some form of
> truncated versions for floating-point data, if this kind of
> cross-platform testing is sought (which I think is).

That will be hopefully an acceptable solution. For now the generated output is exported with
r/r3.out.ascii and the float output is truncated (dp=5). The r.out.ascii output between a AMD and
a P4 system with different libc and compiler differs if i use the option dp=7!

First i was thinking about a module which compares two maps (r/r3/vect) within a error-range, for example eps=0.000001.
But then i realized that truncating combined with md5 checksums will do the same,
and is more effective, because you can store the checksum.

To provide output validation for vector maps, i have to patch v.out.ascii. Because the output of
v.buffer in default spearfish location differs too. The coodinate's
calculation is the "problem". So i have to truncate this float output too:

Normal output:
590529.01701912|4914624.99952804|1
590843.01701912|4918543.99952804|1
590943.01701912|4914228.99952804|1

Truncted output:
590529.01|4914624.99|1
590843.01|4918543.99|1
590943.01|4914228.99|1

I hope 1cm is enough precision for utm locations?
So i will add a dp option to vout.ascii.

But there are new problems:
1.) the test suite output validation depends on 3 grass modules: r.out.ascii, r3.out.ascii and v.out.ascii.
2.) The validation for correct (float) calculations is not provided
3.) To validate the output, you have to export it

But i hope this will provide cross plattform md5 checksum validation.
And i think this is the only (for me) doable solution.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Best regards
Soeren