[GRASS5] Problem compiling with gdal and/or fftw

Michael Rensing michael.rensing at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 12 14:26:28 EST 2006

Hello, I'm trying to recompile Grass and encountering problems.
Hopefully someone can help.

I'm running Fedora Core 4, and have successfully (I think - no testing
yet)  compiled Grass 6.0.1 in the past. I did an update on the OS, and
fftw2 was replaced with fftw3. Now Grass won't run because it can'f find
fftw2, and it won't recompile because configure is looking for fftw2
and/or GDALOpen. They appear to be related...

The last five lines of config output are:
checking whether to use GDAL... yes
checking for gdal-config... /usr/local/bin/gdal-config
checking for GDALOpen... no
checking for GDALOpen... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate GDAL library.

The references to fftw2 are in the config.log near the end. Here's the
section starting where it looks for gdal:
configure:7059: checking whether to use GDAL
configure:7073: checking for gdal-config
configure:7131: checking for GDALOpen
configure:7157: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    -Wl,--export-dynamic
conftest.c -L/usr/local/lib -lgda
l  1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libfftw.so.2, needed by
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1/lib/libgrass_I.so, not foun
d (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1/lib/libgrass_gmath.so: undefined reference to
`fftw2d_create_plan'
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1/lib/libgrass_gmath.so: undefined reference to
`fftwnd_destroy_plan'
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1/lib/libgrass_gmath.so: undefined reference to
`fftwnd_one'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 7134 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
    which can conflict with char GDALOpen(); below.  */
#include <assert.h>
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char GDALOpen();

int main() {

/* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
    to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
    something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
#if defined (__stub_GDALOpen) || defined (__stub___GDALOpen)
choke me
#else
GDALOpen();
#endif

; return 0; }
configure:7176: checking for GDALOpen
configure:7202: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    -Wl,--export-dynamic
conftest.c -L/usr/local/lib -lgeo
s -ljpeg -ltiff -lpng -L/usr/local/grass-6.0.1//lib -lgrass_vect
-lgrass_dig2 -lgrass_dgl -lgras
s_rtree -lgrass_linkm -lgrass_dbmiclient -lgrass_dbmibase -lgrass_I
-lgrass_gproj -lgrass_vask -
lgrass_gmath -lgrass_gis -lgrass_datetime -L/usr/lib -lpq -lz -lm -lrt
-ldl -L/usr/bin/lib -lsql
ite3 -L/usr/local/lib -lgdal  1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libfftw.so.2, needed by
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1//lib/libgrass_I.so, not fou
nd (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1//lib/libgrass_gmath.so: undefined reference to
`fftw2d_create_plan'

/usr/local/grass-6.0.1//lib/libgrass_gmath.so: undefined reference to
`fftwnd_destroy_plan'
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1//lib/libgrass_gmath.so: undefined reference to
`fftwnd_one'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 7179 "configure"
[...]