[GRASS5] GRASS-header-file locations changed?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 15 03:27:14 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> > For the latter option, look at the the dependency list for the OGSF
> > library if --with-ffmpeg was used:
> >
> > $ ldd /opt/grass-6.1.cvs/lib/libgrass_ogsf.so
> > 	libgrass_gis.so => /opt/grass-6.1.cvs/lib/libgrass_gis.so (0x40084000)
> > 	libgrass_datetime.so => /opt/grass-6.1.cvs/lib/libgrass_datetime.so (0x40134000)
> > 	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x40150000)

> > You don't want to be linking all of those in if you only need libgis.
>
> Most of those are already pulled in as dependencies of other libraries,
> and would not need to be listed on a link line.

Sure. My point was that third-party packages won't be linking against
"GRASS", but against specific components of it, and that linking in
unnecessary GRASS libraries could have a high cost.

Thus, rather than e.g. "pkg-config grass", we would need many separate
packages, e.g. "pkg-config grass" (just gis and datetime),
"pkg-config grass-vect" (also add the vector libraries) etc.

[Having said that, for static libraries, you have to explicitly list
all of the depenendcies in the link command.]