[GRASS5] GRASS 3D features query (2nd try)

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Feb 27 18:26:21 EST 2006

Hi Marcos,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:17:47AM +0100, marcos boullón magán wrote:
> Hello users/developers,
>
> I'd like to query for the current status of the 3D
> characteristics/features/capabilities/objects implementation... Are
> they finally usable? All the documentation I found is
>
> "[...]
>    * face: a 3D area
>    * kernel: a 3D centroid in a volume (not yet implemented)
>    * volume: a 3D corpus (not yet implemented)"
>
> "[...] Face and kernel are 3D equivalents of boundary and centroid,
> but there is no support (yet) for 3D topology (volumes). The only
> current use of face is possibility to display vertical planes in
> NVIZ."

There is more meanwhile:
- It's also used by v.extrude [1].
- I have added faces support to v.out.vtk yesterday.

> but I prefer confirmation that this is not a problem linked to
> outdated documentation.

Would you mind to tell us where you found it so that we can
update? In fact it's not too outdated, but could be written
a bit better.

> In fact, searching for references to these
> objects in the source code (CVS feb 20th, 2006) throws me a few
> references:
>
> $ find . -name "*.[ch]" -exec grep GV_VOLUME {} \; | wc -l
> 5
> $ find . -name "*.[ch]" -exec grep GV_KERNEL {} \; | wc -l
> 23
> $ find . -name "*.[ch]" -exec grep GV_FACE {} \; | wc -l
> 34

AFAIK only GV_FACE is really used.

> Finally, is there any roadmap where the approximate data/versions for
> the future GRASS capabilities could be looked?

Yes:
 http://grass.itc.it//devel/roadmap.php

Additionally:
 - get grassuser mailing list from Baylor to grass.itc.it
   (to have all main lists here)
 - discuss and use CMS (content management system) for GRASS
   web site to enable more people to contribute
 - form GRASS Project Steering Commitee in order to formalize
   the development team
 - discuss and get GRASS into OSGeo Foundation incubator
 - have more GRASS meetings or GRASS hacking sessions :-)

Markus

[1] http://grass.itc.it/grass60/screenshots/index.php
    (this should go into grass61 screenshots btw)