[GRASS5] [bug #4037] (grass) d.vect.thematic: fails to generate a legend for >20 custom_breaks

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jan 26 10:54:52 EST 2006

Daniel and others,

Thinking about this on the commute to work this morning, I came up with an
idea for a longer-term way to deal with vector thematic mapping and legends.
For vectors, I can't think of a situation where a legend is NOT used for
some kind of thematic mapping, even if there is a legend item for each
vector object. That is, it is somewhat different from raster legends for
floating point maps. So here is my idea that builds on the unique
multi-layer vector architecture for GRASS.

Each vector file would get a special layer (call it the "T" layer for this
exercise) for thematic mapping. It also would get a special attribute table
(call it "vtheme" for the sake of argument). The T layer and vtheme table
are generated for every vector file on creation. Default cats for the T
layer are simply 1 for each vector item and vtheme is empty except for cats.

The vtheme table would minimally contain the following fields:

psize (point size)
lwidth (line width)
lcolor (line color)
fcolor (fill color)
tlabel (thematic vector label)

It could also contain some topology placeholder fields like length (line
length) or area.

d.vect.thematic (hopefully a C version of it) would repopulate the T layer
so that each vector object gets a cat indicating its membership in a
thematic class. The vtheme table would be populated by parameters generated
by d.vect.thematic (and optionally by other modules like v.to.db for
topology)

Any legend-generating program (an enhanced version of d.legend, a new
d.vect.legend, or even a GUI) could easily obtain the information needed to
create a nice legend using v.db.select.

What do you think?

Michael
Arizona State University