[GRASS-dev] [bug #3877] (grass) r.to.vect, v.in.ascii use too much memory for millions of points

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 04:19:58 EDT 2006

Maciek wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is right the way to go. If we proceed this way
> then v.proj, v.in.*, v.perturb, v.to.points and other would require
> the same. Do we want it? Double standards will be confusing,
> expecially for newcommers. Shouldn't the vector engine be fixed
> instead not to use all memory? Every no-topology hack will reduce the
> chance for a real solution.
>
> (On the other hand, sure I will bless your "r.to.vect -b" having no
> other solution handy. But really this is not a sustainable approach.)

In principal I agree, in practice I am willing to compromise.

The -b flag is a temporary work-around until we have a better solution.
A pure solution is nice, but may take time and we have deadlines to
meet.

Or stated another way, I know enough of the vector code to add a -b flag
but not enough to rewrite the engine to fix the underlying problem. So I
add a -b flag and agree that a better solution is needed.

I was never very clear on this, but have an idea that topology is
meaningless for data which is only points (no tree; only bounding box
matters?). If so, the (correct) solution becomes much easier.

Hamish