[GRASS-dev] New raster-to-raster3d conversion module

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Fri Jul 14 16:01:32 EDT 2006

Dear Helena,

On Friday 14 July 2006 18:53, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> I don't know whether this is important or not, but at CERL the length
> of command names
> was carefully guarded (I was not allowed s.surf.tps.cv), so I am
> wondering whether we
> should continue this tradition and keep just two dots in the name for
> as long as possible -
> maybe it is possible to find a meaningful two dots name for
> r.elev.to.rast3?

Sorry, i did not informed me about the maximum command name length, so
i chosed r.elev.to.rast3 because that was the best name i found and this name
explaned the usage correctly.
And i dont wanted to extent r.to.rast3 to avoid to many confusing options.
Maybe you or somebody else can help me in finding a better name?
How about r.elev.rast3 or r.elev.torast3?

> If not - should we set some rules on how to create names for new
> modules and when
> more dots should be used? The concern then was that it will get out
> of control and soon we will
> have ever longer and messier names.

Yes, you are right! We absolutely have to avoid longer and messier names.
Is there already a guidline about grass name creation?
If not, we should create one.
But how to make sure that meaningful names are
always possible with two dots?

Best
Soeren