[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 03:29:56 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> The screenshots of v.pydigit look great. I just downloaded and tried
> to run v.pydigit--just to see what happened.
>
> It failed, saying I needed pygtk (I've got Python 2.4+ installed).
>
> I went to the pyGTK website. There does not seem to be a pyGTK binary
> for Mac OSX, although there is one for Windows. I dug around a bit, it
> seems that compiling it on the Mac is somewhat tricky. It looks like
> it could be available from Darwinports. I haven't used this (except
> for a brief tryout) because it messes with some of my system settings,
> making it difficult for me to run other x11 programs. Maybe Fink has
> it, but I haven't checked yet.
>
> This makes me hearken back to the days of GRASS 5.0.1, when I had to
> search around for a proper version of TclTk to run it. This isn't very
> attractive to go through this just to be able to develop and run the
> package--especially given I'd need to put it on my laptop too.

But the key change for you was not GRASS 6, but Lorenzo's packages? The
dependent libs would come with or be built into the app. No problem for
users, just like installing libgdal is no problem with the Mac binaries,
it just works.

Fink has it:
  http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/search.php?summary=pygtk

So it is possible.

But Mac users don't need Fink and hardly even know they need it, if it
comes in the "grasslibs" binary package.

I haven't seen an answer yet: is libglade needed at run time or just for
developers?

Hamish