[GRASS-dev] making py.monitor listen to external commands

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Wed Jun 14 05:34:09 EDT 2006

Hallo,

after long discussion with Michael and a bit coding, I would like to
present new new concept of GRASS monitors.

I prepared set of py.* commands, which IMHO *should* became parts of d.*
commands. This is just a workaround this.

General concept is, each monitor has it's own LOCATION/MAPSET/.pyX file,
in which the d.* files are stored. This file is checked from the GUI and
if there is some change, it's content serves for creating the map.

Advantage of this approach is, that this file can be modified from any
GUI/CLI. Target is, to have py.mons *independent* on any UI, however
managable from *any* of them.

Screenshot can be found on [1], set of new tools can be found on [2].

Example session (in xterm) can look like follows:

py.mon start=x0
py.mon start=py0
py.rast soils
py.vect roads
py.ctrl -l
py.ctrl remove=vect
py.rast fields -o
py.vect fields fcol=yellow
py.ctrl -l

(see screenshot [1] for details and possible outputs).

py.rast and py.vect commands can be used just like the old d.* commands

for installation just untar [2] and cd new py.monitor directory

[1] http://les-ejk.cz/tmp/py.mon.png
[2] http://les-ejk.cz/programs/grass/py.monitor.tgz

Please test and discusse.

Jachym