[GRASS5] gis.m

twiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Mar 1 10:32:31 EST 2006

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers at umn.edu>
To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
Cc: devel grass <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
Subject: [GRASS5] gis.m
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:09:31 -0600

> On Feb 27, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
> > The new gism does not use d.what.vect, but the new
> > v.what. I'm not   sure if
> > it will show information in different layers or not. But
> > that is   something
> > that should be fixable.
>
> I am looking at the v.what and it may be just me, but I
> don't see   that it is a replacement for d.what.vect in
> that d.what.vect -e   allows the user to interactively
> click on a polygon and have a form   open with that
> polygon's attributes visible in an editable form. If   an
> attribute has not not been assigned yet (as in the case of
> a new   attribute column), d.what.vect -e can be used to
> "fill in"   attributes. I'm just not seeing this kind of
> interactive control in   v.what. Am I missing something
> here?

Kirk,

What you are seeing with v.what and the new gis.m is the
seperation of core functionality in the x-driver and tcltk
from grass. The reason for this is that if a future gui will
be built using a different toolkit, we didn't want to have
to do this seperation then. Thus v.what provides a generic
query capability that could work with any GUI. Thus an
editing module will need to be written to provide gui
editing for gis.m or for a future gui. If you need
interactive editing in the short term, us d.m.

Sorry.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com